Get 10 FREE CVC Word Building Puzzles! These build-a-word printable puzzles are an engaging, mulit-sensory activity for young readers to practice short vowel sounds, initial sounds, and final letter sounds!
🧩 Why We Love It
There are so many reasons to love these FREE CVC word puzzle printables! They are an engaging, multi-sensory activity to help young readers practice encoding.
- Students build a CVC word as they solve the puzzle.
- There are two words for each short vowel, 10 in total.
- This CVC word game can be played independently or in groups!
- Students will practice initial and final sounds as well as short vowels.
CVC are usually the first words young readers learn to read. Depending on their level, students can start with just one or two puzzles at a time, or they can be given all ten to build.
👉 Use this resource in conjunction with our Picture Labeling and Encoding worksheets!
📝 The Puzzle Words
- Short a: sad, cat.
- Short e: leg, bed.
- Short i: fin, zip.
- Short o: mop, log.
- Short u: tub, sun.
👉 All of the letters and tapping circles below the letters are in black. This is purposeful, because it forces students to focus on the letter sounds rather than a pattern of colors!
ℹ️ Expert Tips & Info
- Get the complete set of 40 CVC word puzzles, including words with digraphs!
- The puzzles can be print on standard 8.5×11 inch paper, but they can be also printed on enlarged paper. We highly recommend laminating the puzzles for extended use.
- Give students puzzles with just one middle vowel at a time as they are learning them.
- Once students know all the short vowels, give the students one page of puzzles together! There are no repeated letters on each page, so students are challenged to make sure all the words are spelled correctly.
✏️ More FREE CVC Word Resources
- Roll & Read CVC Board Game
- CVC Words with Pictures
- CVC Word Families Anchor Chart
- Printable Flashcards
🖨️ Download & Print
We’d love to hear about your experience using this resource!
Please leave a comment below or tag us on Instagram @literacylearn!
DOWNLOAD TERMS: All of our resources and printables are designed for personal use only in homes and classrooms. Each teacher must download his or her own copy. To share with others, please use the social share links provided or distribute the link to the blog post so others can download their own copies. Please do not save to a shared drive, reproduce our resources on the web, or make photocopies for anyone besides your own students. Your support in this allows us to keep making free resources for everyone! Please see our Creative Credits page for information about the licensed clipart we use. If you have any questions or concerns regarding our terms, please email us. Thank you!