Celebrate St. Patrick’s Day while your students practice orthographic mapping! These St. Patrick’s Day Word Mapping worksheets for 3, 4, and 5 phoneme words feature seasonal imagery including shamrocks, leprechaun hats, rainbows, and pots of gold!
Why We Love It
St. Patrick’s Day is March 17th, so let’s have some educational fun with our students! Use our free Word Mapping worksheets for 3, 4, and 5 phoneme words.
☘️ Orthographic mapping activities are important for all levels of beginning readers!
☘️ This practice is research-based and aligned with Science of Reading and Orton Gillingham.
☘️ It helps to build word recognition so new words can become sight words!
☘️ It can grow with them as they learn more and grow in their reading skills and knowledge.
Using the Worksheets
🇮🇪 Use the worksheets to practice phoneme-grapheme mapping:
- The teacher dictates the word.
- Students repeat the word aloud.
- Students say the sounds, one by one, and then write the letter or letters (grapheme) that represent each sound (phoneme) on each blank space.
- Children rewrite the entire word on the line, saying each letter name as they write it.
- Students then blend the sounds together to read the entire word out loud.
The three, four, and five phoneme worksheets can be used practice spelling words across many different phonics skills.
You can dictate St. Patrick’s Day-themed words like gold, jig, luck, green, clover, fun, March, or hat. And each worksheet has fun St. Patrick’s Day graphics that students can color in!
Expert Tips & Info
- Make it multisensory by placing chocolate coins, green play dough, rainbow erasers, or any other fun St. Patrick’s Day Dollar Store items on the phonemes.
- For extended use, laminate the printables or place them in clear plastic sleeves and use dry-erase markers.
- Elkonin Boxes resource (pictured above)
- Valentine’s Day Word Mapping Worksheets
- All About Elkonin Boxes
Download & Print
We’d love to hear about your experience using this resource!
Please leave a comment below or tag us on Instagram @literacylearn!
DOWNLOAD TERMS: All of our resources and printables are designed for personal use only in homes and classrooms. Each teacher must download his or her own copy. Please do not save to a shared drive, reproduce our resources on the web, or make photocopies for anyone besides your own students. To share with others, please use the social share links provided or distribute the link to the blog post so others can download their own copies. Your support in this allows us to keep making free resources for everyone! Please see our Creative Credits page for information about the licensed clipart we use. If you have any questions or concerns regarding our terms, please email us. Thank you!