Get 7 free and printable worksheets to help teach kids all about the digraph sh. Students practice identifying and writing the letters, making the /sh/ sound, discriminations initial and final /sh/ sounds, and more, all using the 7 different pdfs worksheets.
What is a Digraph?
When are students ready to learn digraphs? The goal is to help students build to be able to read longer words at higher grade levels. So once they master some earlier literacy concepts like closed syllables and cvc words, they’re ready to move on to digraphs.
They need to use visual and auditory and visual discrimination because the two digraphs both look alike and sound alike. It will take some practice, and these worksheets include some helpful exercises.
Using these worksheets:
- Children will learn about the sh sound, recognize it in print, practice tracing and writing the letters, identify words that begin and end with the sh digraph, and differentiate it from the ch digraph.
The SH Worksheets
- SH Word Coloring: Students color in pictures that begin with the /sh/ sound. For extra practice, have students say each word aloud while they color.
- SH Tracing Practice: Students practice tracing and writing the letters s and h.
- Initial & Final /sh/ Sounds: Students will find pictures that begin and end with the /sh/ sound, then finish write in the words in the spaces provided.
- Shells on Shore: Students continue practicing visual discrimination by finding the sh shells among other digraphs, then cut those out and paste them on the sea shore.
- SH Picture Match: Students will match the sh digraph to the word that begins with the proper /sh/ sound, combining visual and auditory discrimination skills.
- SH or CH: Students practice auditory discrimination as they learn to distinguish between the similar /ch/ and /sh/ sounds.
- SH Digraph Hunt: Students practice visual discrimination as they search for the letters s and h together, hidden among other digraphs.
- These worksheets were designed for students in Kindergarten and 1st grade.
For orthographic mapping practice words with digraphs, check out our printable Sound Boxes (Elkonin Boxes).
Download the Worksheets
Be sure to leave a comment below and tell us what you think of the worksheets, or tag us on Instagram @literacylearn!
DOWNLOAD TERMS: All resources and printables are designed for personal use only. Each person must visit this site and download their own copy for use.
*Do not: Share or reproduce our printables on the web, upload to a shared drive, email the file, or make photocopies for anyone outside your own home or classroom.
*Please do: Share with others by distributing the link to the blog post or by using the social share links provided. This allows us to keep making free resources for everyone! If you have any questions, please email us. Thank you!