These 7 free printable ch word worksheets will help teach children all about the digraph ch. Children will practice making the ch sound, identifying words that contain the ch sound, and more using all the different pdf worksheets!
You may also like: Printable Phonetic Flashcards.
What is a Digraph?
A digraph is just a fancy name for two letters that make one new sound. The ones you’ll see most often are sh, th, wh, and of course, ch, which is what we’re talking about today.
Why are Digraphs important?
Digraphs are important building blocks for early literacy! But there’s no need to overcomplicate things.
It’s important to teach the ch digraph while touching on the sh digraph, so that children can learn to differentiate the letters and distinguish the sounds. These worksheets include practice exercises to assist with that concept.
- Digraph Hunt: Children will find the c and h together among other digraphs, practicing visual discrimination.
- CH or SH: This worksheet focuses on distinguishing the ch and sh sounds, for auditory discrimination practice.
- CH Matching: Children will match the ch to the word that begins with the proper sound, combining visual and auditory discrimination.
- Cherry Picking: Cherries with the ch digraph will be cut out and pasted on the tree.
- Tracing Practice: Children will practice tracing and writing the digraph.
- Choo Choo CH words: Easy to identify pictures that begin with the ch sound will be cut out and pasted on the train cars.
- CH word Coloring: Children will find and color the pictures that begin with the ch sound, practicing auditory discrimination,.
- Children will learn about the ch sound, recognize words that contain the digraph, and differentiate it from sh.
- Children will practice tracing and writing the letters.
- These worksheets are suitable for Kindergarten and Grade 1.