These 7 free printable ch word worksheets will help teach children all about the digraph ch. Children will practice making the ch sound, identifying words that contain the ch sound, and more using all the different pdf worksheets!
What is a Digraph?
A digraph is just a fancy name for two letters that make one new sound. The ones you’ll see most often are sh, th, wh, and of course, ch, which is what we’re talking about today.
Why are Digraphs important?
Digraphs are important building blocks for early literacy! But there’s no need to overcomplicate things.
It’s important to teach the ch digraph while touching on the sh digraph, so that children can learn to differentiate the letters and distinguish the sounds. These worksheets include practice exercises to assist with that concept.
For more ch digraph practice, use our Read & Spell Digraph Flower activity!
- Digraph Hunt: Children will find the c and h together among other digraphs, practicing visual discrimination.
- CH or SH: This worksheet focuses on distinguishing the ch and sh sounds, for auditory discrimination practice.
- CH Matching: Children will match the ch to the word that begins with the proper sound, combining visual discrimination and auditory discrimination.
- Cherry Picking: Find cherries with the ch digraph written on them, then cut out and paste in a basket.
- Tracing Practice: Children will practice tracing and writing the digraph.
- Choo Choo CH words: Easy to identify pictures that begin with the ch sound will be cut out and pasted on the train cars.
- CH word Coloring: Children will find and color the pictures that begin with the ch sound, practicing auditory discrimination.
- Children will learn about the ch sound, recognize words that contain the digraph, and differentiate it from sh.
- Children will practice tracing and writing the letters.
- These worksheets are suitable for Kindergarten and Grade 1.
For practice orthographic mapping words with digraphs, get our printable sound boxes (Elkonin box)!
- SH Digraph Worksheets
- 100 First High Frequency Words
- CVC Words Flashcards
- Silent e Worksheets (Magic e, Bossy e!)
Download & Print
DOWNLOAD TERMS: All of our resources and printables are designed for personal use only in homes and classrooms. Each teacher must download his or her own copy. Please do not save to a shared drive, reproduce our resources on the web, or make photocopies for anyone besides your own students. To share with others, please use the social share links provided or distribute the link to the blog post so others can download their own copies. Your support in this allows us to keep making free resources for everyone! Please see our Creative Credits page for information about the licensed clipart we use. If you have any questions or concerns regarding our terms, please email us. Thank you!