This Spelling Practice Printable Board Game is a fun and engaging way for students to learn to spell their vocabulary words, because it allows them to play and practice at the same time! It’s a fun way for students to practice spelling words out loud.
Why We Love It
Spelling practice can sometimes be a little, well.. repetetive. Boring. Dull. But with this activity, spelling practice suddenly becomes a ton of fun!
We’ve turned our weekly vocabulary words into this entertaining spelling board game, allowing students to repeatedly spell words out loud in all sorts of silly ways.
When they’re playing, students don’t even seem to realize they’re participating in a learning activity!
The kids can’t seem to stop giggling, especially on silly spaces where they spell a word using a baby voice, as slowly as a sloth, while doing jumping jacks, or while pinching their noses.
And while kids are having a ton of fun, they’re unknowingly participating in a multisensory experience.
Spelling words out loud is so important! Here’s why: they’re hearing the words, saying the words, and using their body in fun ways! The more senses that are engaged, the more the spelling will begin to stick!
It’s an equally great activity for use in classrooms and at home. Use any list of spelling words, heart words, or use our High Frequency Word Flashcards, and get started!
Playing the Game
What You Need
- At least 2 players. This game would work with up to four!
- One die (Dice).
- Game pieces. Each player needs a game piece. You can use pieces from old board games, coins, scraps of colored paper, or anything at all!
- Vocabulary words. Use any list of words you’d like your students to practice spelling.
- Take turns with a partner.
- Roll the dice and move your game piece the number of spaces you roll.
- Spell your vocabulary word following the instructions on the place you land.
- The first player to the finish line wins.
Tips & Info
- This resource is designed for students in grades 1-5. They should be able to roll dice, count the dots and spaces, and read and follow the instructions in each space using the picture clue.
- Make it a fun family game! My son has a spelling test every Friday. This has become a weekly tradition in our home on Thursday evenings! Creating memories while learning is what it’s all about.
- Since this game board can be used repeatedly, we recommend printing on heavy card stock or laminating it. Students will then be able to play and practice with their weekly vocabularly words, all year long!
More Fun & Educational Resources
- Spelling Practice Worksheets
- Spelling Tic-Tac-Toe Game
- Get to Know You Bingo for Kids
- Harry Potter Word Search
Download & Print
We’d love to hear about your experience using this resource with your students! Please leave a comment below or tag us on Instagram @literacylearn.
TERMS: All resources and printables are designed for personal use only in homes and classrooms. Please share with others by using the social share links provided or distributing the link to this page so others can download their own copy. We ask that you do not reproduce these items on the web or make photocopies for anyone outside your own home or classroom. This allows us to keep making free resources for everyone! Thank you!