Eleven free printable worksheets are designed for teaching the letter A to children in preschool and Kindergarten. Children ages 3-5 will learn to recognize the uppercase and lowercase letter A, recognize the letter A sound, and trace and print the letter A.
🔤 All About Letter A!
We carefully designed 11 printable pdf worksheets to build important pre-reading skills in preschoolers ages 3, 4, and 5.
These skills we’re focusing on? Visual discrimination, auditory discrimination, and proper letter formation. Let me define those terms for you!
Visual discrimination: Seeing a letter and recognizing what letter it is.
Auditory discrimination: Hearing a letter sound and recognizing what letter makes that sound.
Proper letter formation. Correctly drawing each elements of a letter to form the full, legible letter.
You might be wondering why these skills are so important. Well, it’s because these skills are the most basic building blocks of literacy!
That’s why I use A-Z flashcards with my preschoolers every single day day, to further reinforce these important skills! The more fun ways I can help them practice these skills, the more I can reinforce it.
Use these worksheets as learning aids or for a fun and engaging activity to go along with your letter A lesson plans. Download and print just one pdf or all eleven… it’s your choice!
✍️ The Worksheets
- A Word Coloring: Children practice auditory discrimination skills by hearing the first sounds of words beginning with he letter A. Children will find and color in the pictures of easy to identify A words like apple, alligator, and ambulance
- Letter A Coloring. Children will color lowercase letter a and uppercase letters in different colors.
- Letter Tracing (2 worksheets). Practicing proper letter formation, children will follow the steps to trace and write uppercase and lowercase letters.
- Uppercase Letter Hunt: Children will practice finding the 10 uppercase letter A in a sea of other uppercase letters.
- Lowercase Letter Hunt: Children will spot the 10 lowercase letter As among lots of other lowercase letters.
- Uppercase & Lowercase Puzzle. Preschoolers will have a fun time coloring the A letter pictures, then cutting along the dotted lines. They’ll then need to match the pictures together to match the uppercase and lowercase letter As.
- Apple Picking: For more uppercase and lowercase visual discrimination practice, children will color uppercase and lowercase letter As different colors, then practice cutting and pasting the letters.
- Beginning Sounds Matching: Practicing auditory discrimination and recognizing the letter sound at the beginning of a word, children will match the letter with the correct letter A picture (and check out our Beginning Sounds Cut & Paste Worksheets for more practice!)
- Hungry Alligators: Children will practice recognizing the uppercase and lowercase letters, then match them by drawing a line from the alligator to the correct apple.
These worksheets will help children will practice visual discrimination, auditory discrimination, and proper letter formation for the letter A.
Age Group: These worksheets are appropriate for preschoolers ages 3, 4, 5, and 6, and for Kindergarten students.
- 12 Letter B Worksheets
- 10 Books for the First Day of Preschool
- Letter Q Worksheets
- Summer Fun Printables
Download & Print
📝 Open and download your free printable Letter A Worksheets!
We love to see our free worksheets in the world!
Snap a photo of your child’s work and tag us on Instagram @literacylearn.
TERMS: All resources and printables are designed for personal use only in homes and classrooms. Please share with others by using the social share links provided or distributing the link to this page so others can download their own copy. We ask that you do not reproduce these items on the web or make photocopies for anyone outside your own home or classroom. This allows us to keep making free resources for everyone! Thank you!